Job Description: What Does a Web Tester Do?
Web testers play a critical role in ensuring the quality and functionality of websites. As the name suggests, they are responsible for testing websites to identify any issues, bugs, or errors that may impact user experience. Web testers work closely with web developers and designers to ensure that websites meet user requirements and are optimized for usability and performance.
What Are Some Responsibilities of a Web Tester?
Web testers have a range of responsibilities that involve testing websites in various ways to identify issues that could negatively impact the user experience. Here are some of the key responsibilities of a web tester:
- Testing Website Functionality
One of the primary responsibilities of a web tester is to test the functionality of websites. They need to ensure that all the features and functions of a website are working as intended. This involves testing the navigation, links, forms, buttons, and other interactive elements of a website to ensure they work correctly and do not cause any errors.
- Identifying and Reporting Bugs and Issues
Web testers need to identify and report any bugs, errors, or issues they find while testing a website. They use testing tools and techniques to identify these problems and create detailed reports outlining the issues they found. They then work with web developers and designers to fix these issues to ensure the website is working as expected.
- Conducting Usability Testing
Web testers are also responsible for conducting usability testing to ensure that websites are easy to use and navigate. They need to ensure that the website’s layout, design, and content are all optimized for usability and that users can easily find the information they need.
- Testing Website Performance
Another critical responsibility of a web tester is to test the performance of websites. They need to ensure that websites load quickly and respond promptly to user input. They also need to test the website’s performance across different devices and browsers to ensure that it works correctly on all platforms.
- Developing and Maintaining Test Cases
Web testers also need to develop and maintain test cases that they can use to test websites effectively. They need to create test scenarios that cover all possible interactions and user scenarios to ensure that they can catch any issues that may arise during testing.
What Skills to Put on Web Tester Resume?
When it comes to listing your skills on your web tester resume, it’s important to highlight your technical abilities as well as your soft skills.
Technical skills that you should include are:
- Proficiency in testing tools and techniques such as Selenium, JMeter, and LoadRunner
- Experience with testing methodologies such as black box, white box, and grey box testing
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Java, Python, and Ruby
- Experience with version control systems such as Git and SVN
Soft skills are also important to include on your web tester resume. These include:
- Strong communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinking
- Problem-solving abilities
- Time management skills
How to List Work Experience on Web Tester Resume?
When listing your work experience on your web tester resume, it’s important to highlight your accomplishments and responsibilities. Begin with your most recent position and work backwards. Include the following information for each position:
- Job title and company name
- Dates of employment
- Key responsibilities and accomplishments
- Tools and techniques used
Web Tester ABC Company January 2020 – Present
- Conducted black box and white box testing of web applications using Selenium and JMeter
- Collaborated with developers to identify and resolve bugs in web applications
- Developed and executed test plans and test cases
- Utilized Git for version control
- Successfully decreased the number of bugs in web applications by 25% within the first three months of employment
How to Write Web Tester Resume Education Section?
The education section of your web tester resume should include your highest level of education and any relevant certifications. Include the following information:
- Degree or certification name
- Institution name and location
- Graduation date (or expected graduation date)
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science XYZ University Graduated May 2019
Certified Software Tester International Software Testing Qualifications Board Issued August 2020
Writing an effective web tester resume requires highlighting your technical and soft skills, showcasing your accomplishments and responsibilities in your work experience, and including your highest level of education and relevant certifications. Remember to tailor your resume to the specific job description and company to increase your chances of landing an interview.